Javier A. Ceja-Navarro et al. suggest a novel means of controlling the coffee berry borer (Hypothenemus hampei), as summarized by The Economist. The authors provide evidence that one of the species of bacteria that reside in the beetle’s digestive system, Pseudomonas fulva, detoxifies the caffeine that the coffee plant produces as a natural herbivore deterrent. Knock out the bacterium, perhaps with a targeted bacteriophage, and you knock out the pest.
- Nothing for WATCH until The Count of Monte Cristo at Aldersgate this fall.
- I’ll be reading scripts for AACT’s NewPlayFest 2020.
Anderson, Heart of a Dog
“When L died, our teacher said, Every time you think of her, give something away, or, do something kind. And I said, Then I’d be giving things away non-stop. And he said, So?”
- Contemporary American Theater Festival 2018: 4
- Contemporary American Theater Festival 2018: 3
- Contemporary American Theater Festival 2018: 2
- Contemporary American Theater Festival 2018: 1
- A milestone: 7
- At the park: 96
- Maine birding recap
- Botticelli in the Fire
- Acadia Birding Festival 2018
- Enroute: 16