- Doing the happy WATCH judge dance!
- Just finished reading scripts for TNT POPS! New Play Project.
Category Archives: Like Life
Richard Bolles has passed away. Early in my career, as I blundered my way into writing software for a living, I turned to his books for guidance. I’m not sure that he provided any specific, useful advice, but I was reassured: it always felt like he was in my corner.
It turns out that he spent a good part of his early life as a clergyman in the Episcopal church. Leta would say, “of course.”
Ted Rall offers one explanation for what happened (is happening) to Dayton, Ohio.
Augmented by a stack of books from Leta’s library. She was holding out on me with the Alison Bechdel and Jane Smiley. I haven’t read Memento Mori since I borrowed it from Jim Gleason’s dad when I was in high school.
CATF, one trip for work, and VNPS. Overnight stays in 2016:
- Martinsburg, Berkeley County, West Virginia (Thanks, Charlie, as always!) 1, 2, 3
- Blacksburg, Montgomery County, Virginia (and)
- Boston, Massachusetts
One bucket list venue checked off this year:
- Rams Head Tavern, Annapolis
- Blues Alley
- Eastman Studio Theatre, Gallaudet University
JIM. Woulda come to your aid there, only I’m dealing with a little, uh, issue.
RUSS. Oh yeah?
JIM. Piano I told ya about?
JIM. Didya ever… (lowers voice) … ever need a truss? Have to wear one of those?
RUSS. Uhhhh… Don’t recall.
JIM. Oh, you’d recall it if you did.
RUSS. Guess not, then.
JIM. Then you are a fortunate man.
RUSS. I hear you.
JIM. Bend the knees or suffer the consequences.
RUSS. Yup.—Bruce Norris, Clybourne Park, act 1
Fresh arrivals from Powell’s, and some interesting choices from the freebie shelf at work. I picked up the DeLillo at our new indie bookstore, Scrawl Books. Plus, I’m doing a book exchange at Vanessa’s in a couple of weeks: who knows what that will bring?
@mkramer likes to post lists of tasks that she has completed, large and small, required and optional. In that spirit, here’s what I accomplished over my holiday break:
- Scrubbed coffee stains from my breakfast cup set.
- Registered as a prospective host for my university’s externship program.
- Snacked on a tasty (store-brought) Christmas stollen.
- Updated my medical emergency/end-of-life instructions.
- Replaced the battery in one device. (Thought there would be more.)
- Cleaned out file folders of 20-year-old travel brochures and directions to birding hot spots.
- Made some birthday arrangements for Leta.
- Received a judgment: “Not eating at home brings good fortune.”
- Restocked the food and water in my Go Box.
- Cleaned out the closet of linens/bathroom stuff.
- Tightened the buttons on one of my comfy shirts.
- Remounted a wobbly toilet roll holder.
- Straightened up the basement after October’s mini-flood.
- Set up my script for my next show; set up my 2016 notebooks.
- Watched two movies, in cinemas, like a grownup.
- Mislaid the power adapter for my music keyboard. Again.
- Cleaned up the cabinet of PC gear; organized the hall hat rack and closet.
- Vinegared the coffeemaker.
- Played Scrabble with Leta.
- Went for a walk in Huntley Meadows Park.
Since I usually finish a bout of to-do checkoffs with more to-dos than I started, it’s nice to look back on what got done.
charity I work for-contribute to/conference organizer,
Mucho travel this year, even a trip for my job. Overnight stays in 2015:
- Lexington Park, St. Mary’s County, Maryland
- La Plata, Charles County, Maryland
- Oregon, Lucas County, Ohio
- Martinsburg, Berkeley County, West Virginia (3 visits) (Thanks, Charlie, as always!)
- Vineland, Cumberland County, New Jersey
- Staunton, Virginia (and)
- Bloomington, Monroe County, Indiana (road trip)
- Memphis, Shelby County, Tennessee
- Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee
- Boston, Massachusetts